Monday, April 29, 2013

Quarter 4 Question 3! Due Thursday 5/2!

Dialogue and description can often provide inspiration or insight into themes for readers. What is one passage from your book that has been particularly inspiring or insightful? What is the message the author intended (presumably), and what did the passage mean to you? Be sure to include your specific passage, and cite the quote!


Be sure you are meeting the requirements detailed in the RW Response Rubric (see "Useful Documents" tab)!

Just a friendly reminder that your book projects will be due on the day of your final exam! If you are a senior, your book project will be due on your last day of school (that's only 3 and 1/2 weeks away folks)! So, if you haven't been making a lot of progress in your book, start kicking it into gear! :)

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Bailey's in that airless box"
her sister passed away and she believes that if she packs up all her stuff, she will lose all of bailey. this passage is significant to me because i would never want to do something that was going too make a person that i love and care about be gone even more then they already are. having the stuff like they would and having the smell of them, keeps them around more then just in your head. sometimes people need that.

Anonymous said...

"But be careful what you wish for, dahling. All that glitters is sometimes gold-plated" (Banks 36) Modelland by Tyra Banks is a dystopian novel about girls whose lives revolve around becoming Intoxibellas, beautiful residents of Modelland. Those who aren't chosen lead sad lives as factory workers. This quote fits the story, but it also fits every day life. Not everything that looks good and right is good and right. Sometimes it's only appealing on the surface.

Anonymous said...

I am reading Zoil, it's about gypsies in the 1930's, but it starts with a journalist going into a gypsy camp in present day. The author was showing their lifestyle and I thought this passage really explained what it would be like to go in one.

"A dog, all bones and scars, noses out in front of the car, and within moments the dog has brought children, crowding up against the car windows. One boy jumps up onto the hood and grabs the windshield wipers. A cheer goes up as two other kids take hold of the bumper and skate behind on the bare soles of their feet . . ." (page 3)

Anonymous said...

The passage where the main character talks about how she met her husband (who is now dead) is pretty inspiring and important to the book. This particular passage gives a hint to one of of the themes in this book. I think the theme is that love is blind and love at first sight. Her husband who is nearly 15 years older falls in love with her at the first moment they meet. The passage does not really mean anything to me. I think that the author put this flashback in the beginning, so that the reader can get a feel of their relationship first.

Anonymous said...

"Can a Robot Be Human?"
Despite the odd title, this entire book is supposed to be insightful because of the many questions it asks the reader to think about. I will just pick one of the questions it addresses. "Are all values and truths relative" (Cave 67)? He asks the reader to think about what society is like where you are in the present day compared to another society. The values of every culture is different. Even words or slang can be different. I know I don't use words that my mom and dad used to use back in the eighties. So if every culture has different values, then why is it okay to think that they are weird just because they are different? It's not, in my opinion. What do you think?

Unknown said...

""Especially for her. I mean, I'm practically grown-up, but she's still a kid." His voice was a little shaky, and he turned his face down to the sand. Sixteen was not that grown-up. He cleared his throat, then said, "Mom can't bear to tell her, but if she doesn't do it pretty soon, I think old Crabby will do it for her."" pg. 120. I think that the point of this from the author is that some secrets are better kept to yourself. This quote was very touching to me because this family is keeping a secret from the girl and how is she going to feel when her mother is dead? I think that this is very touching because this little girl is so oblivious to her mom having cancer and it is happening in her own house. Some people are just happier not knowing certain things.

Anonymous said...

"Sociopath and Psycho were two of the most common field diagnoses for my look and expression. I heard it all the time. "I've read about people like you. They have no expression because they have no feeling some of the worst murderers in history were sociopaths" page 2. When I read this passage it broke my heart. I am interested in the way these children think and what they do. I want to be able to teacher special education and kids with autism when I get older so when another kid told John that it made me sad because they might not show any impression or emotion but it is not because they don't care. They do care on the inside children like this just do not know how to show it on the outside to other people.
This passage was not just another story from the book. I have read other boks about children with autism and asperger's syndrom. They have all had the same things in common they do not show their emotions like this syndrom has been shown to have. They dod not understand how to act therefore they do not ast the way others do in certain situations. They are no different than any other child so why should they be treated that way. There is not a lot of dialoge but they quotes and sayings the author uses about what he has gone through makes this passage so meaningful. NObody ever should be treated this way.

Anonymous said...

"'But it also reflects my personal life philosophy' I looked at the sweatshirt again. 'You swim is a philosophy?' He shrugged. 'Better that you sink, right?'"(pg 234) This hints at the theme because when your life changes you can change with it or try to stay the same. One way you will end up swimming and with the other you will end up sinking. I think the authors message is that there are two ways to look at things but you should always think positive about the outcome. It is important to me because it shows that philosophies do not have to be long. This philosophy reminds me of hakuna matata with how it is short and clever. It also means the choice is always yours about what you want to do.

Nathan Balch said...

In the book Rich Dad Poor Dad there are many inspirational quotes. I find the repeated quotes and emphasized passages especially exciting because of the easily seen importance. When the author discusses the lack of knowledge about money, he says the quote, "The poor and middle class work for money. The rich have money work for them." (Kiyosaki 31) This shows the extreme reasoning behind the causes for the top 10% of the rich to have 90% of the economic flow. This passage just goes to show how much of an upper hand the rich class has on everyone else financially and through knowledge.

Anonymous said...

'The guy called across the car, 'Connie, what you want me to do with this white cat?'
"And real soft-her voice was so soft, just like her eyes- she said, 'Kill the white bastard.'
"And sure enough, they almost did."
This quote sticks out to me a lot because it means that you can't trust anyone, or even be nice to someone without somewhere down the road being screwed over by them.

Unknown said...

"Never give up"
the message the author is trying to intend is that no matter the circumstances life gives you, you should never give up. Always push threw and do your best in any given scenario. I picked this quote because it is a great quote and a life lesson.

Anonymous said...

"Guess what I saw??'
This quote was a turning point in the story from the beginning to the middle of the story itself. This quote shows when the real stories start to begin because this is the first time she sees this deer that she will eventually fall so in love with that she seems to think it talks to her.

Anonymous said...

"Except for the waves, it's so quiet."
The main character has met these new friends at a party she went to and they have been getting her into drugs and alcohol. This quote is from when her family went on vacation. She was really enjoying it because she hadn't had any down time from her busy partying she's been doing. She was happy that she could go on vacation without having any drugs or alcohol around. She had a week of peacefulness.

Anonymous said...

"I can practically freeze time."
The main character says this during his football game. He actually cant freeze time but he can slow it down so that he can make that big play. This has caused the town to cheer for him more then they ever have before. He is happy that he is getting the attention but it takes it away from his best friend who taught him everything about football. Which isn't good because if he gets all the attention he will get a scholarship which is good but at the same time bad because his friend won't.

Anonymous said...

"She wants Coyote in her life, but does not want a pet"(Tolan 30).
Charley got in a bad car wreck and now has nothing to do all summer. She walks around the lake by her house and spots a dog, and decides to name it Coyote. I think the theme the author is trying to get across is that things come into your life, sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad. Whatever the thing is, don't underestimate it.

Anonymous said...

I can't really say that there has been an inspiring passage in my book thus far, seeing as most of this book is comedy.

Anonymous said...

"I can show you a glimpse of who I am, the inside Ann, but it's not an easy request." (Henderson 231) This quote from Dee Henderson's novel, "Full Disclosure", does a good job of illustrating one of the book's constant themes. Ann Silver, one of the two main characters, is a very private person. This passage touches on this characteristic and on Ann's journey towards trusting.

Anonymous said...

"Summer and all its reckless promise." (pg 32)
The narrator is describing his fiance and that last summer he is going to have with her before she leaves for her schooling in another state. I think this passage is insightful becasue it is kind of foreshadowing that there is going to be some interest things during the summer of this book. I think its giving an insight that something big is going to happen during the summer and they are going to do as many reckless and crazy things they can do together before she leaves.

Anonymous said...

“'First of all,' he said, 'If you can learn a simple trick, Scout, you'll get along a lot better with all kinds of folks. You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view, until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.'" Page 30. In this part of the book Atticus is giving Scout very important moral advice that further goes to show her development as a character as the story continues. Atticus’s words of wisdom reflect who he is as a person, indicating he is not a man that judges people, he guides himself by this sole principle. Scout struggles, sometimes more successful than others, to put Atticus’s advice into good use and to live with regards to how other people feel, and having an understanding towards others. I thought this quote was very insightful because as children we don’t always think before we act, we don’t care as much about how we effect other people, and as we grow up, we have to learn that people come in all kinds of different races, shapes, sizes, and backgrounds. We can’t keep our childish ways forever, and we have to learn to mature, and realize nobody really knows what life is like for someone, or what they go through and why they act the way they do, unless we are that person.

Anonymous said...

"Have you ever wondered what a human life is worth? That morning, my brother's was worth a pocket watch" (Sepetys 27). This quote from "Between Shades of Gray" by Ruta Sepetys is probably the most memorable and meaningful quote from my book, so far at least. The author is trying to show that the Soviet officers didn't care much for the people at the station. The officer was going to take Jonas, but one little item of possession changed the officer's mind. This one little item saved Jonas's life. This passage really summarizes up the whole story to me. The story is about their family trying to survive the Soviets and their work camps. They are given nothing, and the Soviets don't care much for them. The only thing the Soviets care about is themselves, and what they can gain from hosting work camps.

Anonymous said...

" At that moment I summoned all the deep down empowering woman Ari's mother is alway preaching to us."Girls you are stronger than you know ... If you don't like being treated like a doorma t then get off the floor. p 17. Wanted by Kelly Elliot is a book about a young girl named Ellie who at the age of seven was told by her mother she was never wanted and would never be wanted. I think the reason the author included this quote was because she wanted to encourage woman to dont take the abuse from men so they could get up and walk away.

Anonymous said...

"What would such a man be like? she wondered. Would he be as caring in person as the letter seemed to imply?" (Sparks 31-32). I feel as though the author wanted us to delve deeper into our minds when reading and not only have us just read, but also help Theresa in the book figure the mystery to this message in a bottle. He intended for us to to also wonder, as Theresa is, who this strane and wonderful could be and why all men can't be like him. This passage is quite meaningful because at such a young age, I too have fairytale dreams of how boys should be. So when reading this book, I find that imagination coming back and painting a picture of the perfect man that we all know don't exist. This passage has helped me really think and dive into the story with the main character too.

Anonymous said...

As I continue to read my book, after seeing this discussion post I actually thought back to the first book I read. Because during my first book, there were a lot of emotional quotes. This book is about what would happen if the moon was pushed closer to Earth, and the world basically went into turmoyl. The quote that stood out to me the most would be, "I guess I always felt even if the world came to an end, McDonald’s still would be open." It makes me think about how we take the life we all have for granted. We never really understand what would happen if it was all taken away. If we didn't have running water, electricity, or even McDonalds... What would we do? This one sentence really makes the reader think about the life we are all so blessed to have. And because of quotes like this, I really love this book!

Anonymous said...

Currently, I am reading Radical by David Platt. The whole thing is one great big inspirational passage, and I have been enjoying it very much. It is an incredible book! One paragraph in particular that really stood out to me was one about making disciples. In it, Platt explained how the process of making disciples is relational. There is no one-step, clean cut, simple process for leading others to Christ. I mean, Jesus spent nearly his whole ministry with a core group of just 12 men! He loved, served, and taught them. They were friends. “Jesus has not given us an effortless step-by-step formula for impacting nations for his glory. He has given us people, and he has said, “Live for them. Love them, serve them, and lead them. Lead them to follow me, and lead them to lead others to follow me. In the process you will multiply the gospel to the ends of the earth.”” (Platt 93). And this is what He has commanded of all his children. I had never before heard this message worded in such an understandable, relatable, inspiring, way before. Radical has me excited for life right now, and even for what the future holds.
Since the point of my book is to offer insight and inspiration, Platt’s message is not hidden in passive comments, mysterious interpretations, or extra fluff. Rather, it is laid out just as it is. There aren’t hidden messages that the reader has to dig for. He takes God’s word and explains it in a way that nearly any willing reader could understand. I think the reason this section stands out to me so much is because I have recently begun building relationships in my life. I am not who I was before. Experiencing Radical is helping me form this new life into what God wants and needs it to be. Making disciples, in a very relational process, is something that I have begun to do. It interests and excites me very much, and I know this is how I’ll spend the rest of my life.

Anonymous said...

"I love you, Billy. Do you still know that?" Page 306
I chose this because love is a very strong theme in this book. This quote was spoken by a boy named Samuel talking through another character(long story..) to Billy. Billy and Samuel used to be pretty close friends but then Billy was corrupted by evil and now they are something like enemies. But the most important thing in the Monastery is love and its power and knowing that all love leads to the Creator. I really like it because it shows someone actually loving your enemy or someone who has trespassed against you. I don't know, it's kind of hard to explain without explaining the entire book. Because I'm really bad at shortening things.

Anonymous said...

"On October 6, 1986, a Russian rine (k-219) sailing off the coast of Bermuda experienced a failed seal on the missile hatch." Sea water was leaking in where the area of the submarine was not sealed correctly. The water reacted with the missile liquid fuel and caused an explosion that killed three of its own sailers. The description that he put into story was amazing. There was a lot of emotions in the passage. The story was sad but reminded you that anything can go wrong and its dangerous everywhere you are. They were prepared for the worst but not for that. It caught my attention and made me want to turn the page to keep on reading.

Anonymous said...

Dialogue and description can often provide inspiration or insight into themes for readers. What is one passage from your book that has been particularly inspiring or insightful? What is the message the author intended (presumably), and what did the passage mean to you? Be sure to include your specific passage, and cite the quote!


Be sure you are meeting the requirements detailed in the RW Response Rubric (see "Useful Documents" tab)!

Just a friendly reminder that your book projects will be due on the day of your final exam! If you are a senior, your book project will be due on your last day of school (that's only 3 and 1/2 weeks away folks)! So, if you haven't been making a lot of progress in your book, start kicking it into gear! :)

“Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought bravely. And Rhaegar died. ”
Daenerys wishes to take back Westros, her birthright, but she wishes to do it like her valiant late brother would, with knights and honor. Her knight, however, suggests another, more possible alternative, The Unsullied. They are a elite army of slaves, trained cruelly from a very young age to do what they are told, with no remorse, no identity, and most importantly, no lust for power. She counters that she must take her kingdom back with honor, nobility, and bravery. Her knight counters with this.
This sort of frames the desperation she is in to take back her kingdom, and the cold realization that honor, while impressive, isn't really the best way to go. Sometimes honor just gets you killed. This is a sort of reoccurring theme throughout the books, with many honorable characters dying or betraying their honor, while the dishonorable and craven live on to fight another day. Another line from the book, "A knight in shining armor has never had his metal truly tested." reminds me of the saying "All that glitters is not gold." Sometimes the most effective option is the one that looks the worst.

Anonymous said...

THIS IS LOGAN'S.... I DON"T HAVE A LAPTOP SO IM USING LIAM'S.

"I'm all about winning coach and you know that"(Lupica 49). I found this insightful because it really helped me relate to this book. The reason for this is because i hate loosing. I don't care if it's a real sport or just one im doing for fun like bowling. I LOVE TO WIN. The author added this message in because he was trying to show you what the main character was like.

Anonymous said...

"My father's work was to tear down the barrier between science and religion."
Reading this, I began to think about all the problems these two things caused, especially when put together. A combination of science and religion is responsible for many of the wars we fight today, and if their problems could be settled, it would be a large step towards world peace.

Anonymous said...

A passage that really meant a lot to me was "I don't talk much about those days. Never did. I don't know why." Page 4 This quote means a lot to me because I can relate to it a lot. I think that every person has things that have happened in their life that they want forget, regret or just don't want to know I do and I also know that I don't know a person that doesn't have a regret. The reason that I can relate to this so much though is because literally a select few know of my past, its not terrible but I don't like to talk about it.

Anonymous said...

"She deserved it, she deserved to go down, to join that poor, innocent girl."(Pg. 77, Bloch)
This quote the main character of my book is talking about how he killed his mother. It just goes to show how much he did not like her, and how he really had no feelings. It makes me wonder how he thinks he is going to get away with the murder, and how he is going to be able to run the hotel by himself. I wonder if he will start killing all the people who come to stay at the hotel. I kind of saw him killing his mom coming but I just don't know how someone could go crazy enough to do such a thing to family that close.

Anonymous said...


“With a secret like that, at some point the secret itself becomes irrelevant. The fact that you kept it does not.” This is from Water for Elephants- the epilogue, when he explains what happens to himself and Marlena, when he conceals the fact that one of his friends killed Marlena's husband from Marlena.

Anonymous said...

"'Ivy, I love you," Tristan said, his face suddenly serious.
She stared back at him, then bit her lip.
" This isn't some kind of game for me. I love you, Ivy Lyons, and one day you're going to believe me."
She put her arms around him and held him tightly. "Love you, Tristan Carruthers," she whispered into his neck."
Tristan and Ivy love each other. Even after there crash she knew that she still loved him and he still loved her. This shows that love never dies.

Anonymous said...

"I wrapped Edward in dry clothing. He was making little wheezing sounds. I put him in his cradle and went from the detached kitchen to the main house. I ran in the back door, through the long hall, where there were bloodstains on the heart-pine floors because of the duel once fought here. I was careful not to step on the bloodstains. All of us children were convinced it was bad luck to step on them."
This is when she saved her little brother from drowning in the water his mother put him in.

Anonymous said...

"I know it's dumb of me, but I keep thinking that once Matt gets home, everything'll be okay. Like he'll push the moon back into place." p. 48
I like this quote so much because it shows the bond between siblings. Matt is Miranda's older brother who is away at college when the coastal areas of the US are destroyed by tidal waves. She trusts in him to help make her world go back to normal when he finally comes home.
The reason why this quote meant so much to me is that I am the oldest out of five sisters. I hope that if something goes wrong, my baby sisters believe in me enough that I can help make it right just by being around them.